Frederic William Stewart was the first Background Painter on Nickelodeon’s epic animated series The Legend of Korra and today he holds a coveted role as a Dreamworks Visual Development Artist.
In the podcast version of this interview, we talked about the early days on Korra, pushing the limits of digital media and why a diversity of influences will make your work stand out…
This Extended Interview Includes Over 20 Minutes Of Extra Audio:
- The challenges Fred faced while working on Korra.
- Tracing Lion King off the TV.
- Jim Henson, Mister Rogers, and the beauty of stubborn optimism.
- Sensory overload is an inspiration killer.
- Being nerds in high school.
- Why Fred ditched mechanical engineering to pursue art.
- Learning art at the Shrunken Head Man Club.
- The secret convenience of Voodoo dolls.